Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Small sugar in urine after a meal??

Customer Question

Small sugar in urine after a meal??
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 4 months ago.

Finding of sugar ( glucose) in urine is an abnormal finding ...

The blood sugar usually must get over about 200 mg/dL for sugar to not be completely reabsorbed by the kidneys ...

So even after a meal that would be high...

Possibly associated with a high sugar content meal but possibly a sign of glucose intolerance or diabetes

So I recommend that you follow this up -- see your doctor and get fasting blood glucose checked and a hemoglobin A1C ( the latter test reflects what your blood sugar has been doing over last 3 months )

The finding of sugar in the urine is not itself really diagnostic of anything but warrents a closer look...

I hope that this information is helpful and makes sense

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I Will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
With clear stomach and in morning just with water intake I see negative on urine dip stick and in the evening I see it as 14 mm ol/L and 56 mm ol/L sometimes
I have no family history of diabetes and I am just 26What can it be ???Person with diabetes get only this much value of glucose like 14 or 28 or 56 mm ol/L ??

Hello again,

With mostly negatives on urine I doubt that it would turn out that you have diabetes ...under normal circumstances you should have no sugar in urine ....that is the reason I recommend a follow up check ...especially the hemoglobin A1C as you might not have diabetes but may potentially have glucose intolerance ...the A1C is helpful to know if your sugar metabolism is NORMAL / slightly slow= glucose intolerance // or too slow = type 2 diabetes ...

Your negatives fasting rule out new onset type one diabetes I would say ...

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or discussion

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This does not show up because of food that I take
I see no symptoms of diabetes like frequent urine and thirst

Hello again,

It is good and helpful to reassure us that you have no symptoms ...yes to that ... It could be due to timing and a high sugar load ...yes ...

As for the most part we don't see sugar in the urine even nonfasting I would recommend a check as I said of your HEMOGLOBIN A1C .. That should be under 5.7 to prove that you have normal blood sugar metabolism... I think the main issue is just distinguishing between normal vs a prediabetes state of glucose intolerance ....

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further discussion

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD