Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My dad last night (29th August) was admitted to ICU as he

Customer Question

My dad last night (29th August) was admitted to ICU as he had intracranial hemorrhage. Today morning the doctors said he is not moving (reacting to light in the eye or tube in the throat) hence we can't treat him. He had high BP when admitted, but over the course of the night and early morning his BP was well controlled yet they are not treating him as he is said to be in deep coma. I am attaching all the diagnosis reports as I seek second opinion and a further advice as to what action can I take and the chances of he getting back to normal. He is diabetic since 24 years and takes insulin injections twice a day. Has BP and takes a norvasc tablet once a day. He is 50 years old. He was taken to emergency within 10 minutes of the attack.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Files
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 4 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically with a glasgow coma scale score of 4 and also having bilateral fixed and dilated pupils means that the prognosis is poor. In this case most of the doctors will not treat the patient aggressively. Also this means that there is a severe brain injury. I am sorry. The chances of him getting back to normal are very low. Please ask a neurosurgeon in the hospital to examine him.

Take care.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When you say most will not are you telling me some would treat him aggressively so that we can try everything at hand to help save his life?

Dear customer,

No I meant that based on medical evidence available to date treating aggressively is unlikely to be beneficial. That is the reason that most doctors do not treat aggressively since patients who were treated aggressively in a similar scenario also did not show any benefit.

Take care.

Please don't forget to rate the answer with a positive rating.

Thanks.