DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years

I have debilitating migraines and am on intermittent FMLA,

Customer Question

I have debilitating migraines and am on intermittent FMLA, that provode some of the pressure, but as you know FMLA you do't make money. I have had these since the beginning of my pregnancy (19) mo now...imitrex, treximet,amytriptaline, gabapentine, topamx... I have even had depakote infusions 3-4 times they last 3-4 days and come back with a vengence... I ttake a shot with demoral with promethazine it works...but again the same ordeal. I work, Im 31, im building a life, its affecting my fiances work, and now i have had seizure....The nuerologist I am seeing now says we will look at it again in 3 moths... I am not sur i can last that long
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to the web site.

I am a double board certified US doctor and I will help you with this.

I am completely familiar with the frustrating nature of this situation.

You have not really asked a question. We answer questions.

We do not treat, prescribe or diagnose.

However, I have a few suggestions.

If you have not had a complete vacation from medications, that should be tried. Even if it is for a short time.

This often renders medications more effective.

I suggest you have your magnesium levels checked. The "normal range" is not reliable. If you are under 2.5 you should supplement. 50% of migraine sufferers will respond to a degree. 90% of those who also have mitral valve prolapse.

You should have your cervical spine evaluated by an Md of physical medicine and rehabilitation, and infact your entire structure. You might benefit from physical therapy, combined with biofeedback.

Many migraines respond very well to acupuncture [Chinese medicine type acupuncture] and I highly recommend that you find a good practitioner.

That is all for starters.

And of course you should be working with a headache specialist.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here