Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

My husband had a CT scan of s head recently and the report

Customer Question

My husband had a CT scan of his head recently and the report said he had mild generalized cerebral atrophy with mild dilation of the lateral ventricles. He is only 58 right now and the doctor said it was unusual for someone of that age to have cerebral atrophy already. He has had major personal and marriage problems and has been diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder. He struggles with problems of reasoning and other executive function issues. We wonder if this atrophy could be the result of chemo he had 19 years ago when he had testicular cancer (bleomycin, etoposide, cisplatin) or if there could be some other cause. We also need to find out what to do about this. Should he get additional tests and if so, what tests should be done? His personality is affecting his personal and married life tremendously and need to find out if the atrophy could be contributing to these problems worsening.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for this question

I don't think it would be from the chemo

This could be some kind of early dementia

I would recommend he see a neurologist right away

They need to determine what is going on and what can be done.

maybe meds can help

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using

thanks for this questionplease don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)if you have more questions, just reply