dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I have ten years of experience to handle patients in different fields including Neurology.

My daughter recently saw a 20/20 episode regarding fMRI I

Customer Question

My daughter recently saw a 20/20 episode regarding fMRI I which they showed a person several pics while scanning their brain. Then later when they showed them the same pics randomly the computer was able to tell which one they were looking at at any given time based on their brain images. Now she had heard that when a person is thinking of a certain object, but has never had a brain scan of their own that it is possible to tell what she is thinking by looking at another persons scan because our brains are very similar. Is this true? Why or why not? She has been very paranoid for a while now and needs to know that her thoughts are her own private thoughts and that no one will be able to read them based other people's scan
Category: Neurology
Expert:  dr abid replied 3 months ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for the question ...

This is not true that you can predict by someone else scans , because of the fact that scans only depict persons own Neuronal and Brain structures , its scanning power is not effected by thought , thinking process or looking at other persons scan .

Just like thumb print of Human which is different for everyone even in identical twins , same is like brain which is different from person to person , its work is same but its thinking process , its prediction power , is different so her thoughts are just her own prediction not based on reality .

Good luck .

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,