DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

I am trying to figure out why my upper arm hurts the way it

Customer Question

Hi, I am trying to figure out why my upper arm hurts the way it does. Two weeks ago, I injured my arm during a fall. I grabbed a handle out of reflex with I tripped and fell. My arm was very painful right away, and I had to use it to push myself enough to get my other arm under me to get up. I did not hear any ripping or pop, and once weight was off it didn't hurt as bad. Afterwards, I could not move my arm too far forward or out. The arm has been hurting for 2 weeks now, and I have been slowing getting my range of movement, still having trouble with any weight, and now it feels like something inside my arm moves very slightly and then like someone is pinching me. I have to move my arm around to get it to stop. Why does it feel like something is moving? What can I do to help it heal? My local doctor referred me to physical therapy place, but they can't see me until Thursday. I just want to know what I can do until then.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: It makes it worse when I reach for things out of reflex or pick up too much weight (like more than 5 lbs). I noticed swelling only very slightly the day after and randomly here and there, but ever very much you would have to look for it to see it.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: For most part I'm a healthy 32 year old, slightly over weight (170lbs). Been trying to diet. Not sure if weight has much factor in the injury.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 4 months ago.

Hello

I am a double board certified US doctor and I will help you with this, providing correct and safe answers. Use reply as needed.

In fact there is nothing you should do to try and fix this until you have a diagnosis and the therapy assessment.

You can hurt yourself if you do.

The safest thing is rest, using a sling if needed, heat and cold applications, which ever helps, and anti inflammatory medication temporarily.

You need an orthopedic exam as well...if not done.

This can be a torn muscle, particularly in the shoulder or bicep.

It can be something more serious, such as a torn labrum in the shoulder.

Or even a herniated disc in the neck.

That needs to be found out.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/