Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

The vein on the right temple became swollen and painful. I

Customer Question

The vein on the right temple became swollen and painful. I went to ER and diagnosed with temporal arteritis even though send rate was normal. Given 60 mg prednisone, an antibiotic and Percocet for pain. 2 days later my whole far head was red and painful and seemed like one huge hive. I also had tender lumps on head and behind both ears, accompanied by earache and left eye swollen closed. Numb tingling feeling across whole face. I looked at side effects and contacted pharmacist who said to stop antibiotic and pain med as could be allergic reaction and return to ER. When I went back to ER that didn't understand why diagnosed with temporal arteritis or why antibiotic was give. Continue prednisone and given anti-viral medication and now told shingles and to follow up with ENT. I went to ENT and he found nothing and did not understand why recommended to see him. Since either could cause vision problems I went to eye doctor who did additional blood work as according to him send rate alone would not diagnose temporal arteritis. He said blood was negative for temporal arteritis and follow up with GP. All symptoms disappeared. 1 month later and all of a sudden I have huge tender lumps on scalp, Behind both ears, base do head and down neck. The veins on my temples are now very swollen again and head feels "funny". Who should I now see?
JA: Are you experiencing any dizziness? Do you have a fever?
Customer: No fever, some dizziness but I do have Meneres desease and bouts of vertigo.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Was in accident 40 years ago, lost spleen, 1 kidney non-functioning, multiple fractures entire left side. About 25 lbs overweight, and under a tremendous amount of unavoidable stress.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 9 months ago.

Hi, Dr. Stan here to help. Please upload pictures