DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I have a deep cut on my finger that happened months ago. I

Customer Question

I have a deep cut on my finger that happened months ago. I didn't make it to doctor in time to get stitches. I still feel a tingle on my finger and it sometimes goes up my arm. How long does it usually take to heal without stitches? How can I expedite the healing process?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 4 months ago.

Hi

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

The healing time vary depending upon the depth of the wound. It might take any where between 4-6 weeks to heal but can vary depending upon the depth . Tingling feeling can persists for some time as at times with a deep cut there occur some damage to the small nerve fibers in the digits which take time to recover and even at times it persists for long. If you already have one month gone since the injury I would suggest that you should see your doctor for an examination, although the chances are that it will heal on its own with time if the wound has healed on the surface. Your doctor can just rule out the possibility of any superimposed infection if it is a hindrance in the healing process. For relief of pain you can take some anti-inflammatory drugs.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if you have any more question

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Regards

Healing can be enhanced by keeping wound clean, washing it with betadine/povidone and if it is still open then keep it dressed. Your doctor can decide about the need of an antibiotic

Good luck

Regards

Are you there ?

Do ask if you need any more information till you are satisfied

if you are done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Regard