Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic

Pain in the left side of the groin area. What could it be?

Customer Question

I have had a pain in my groin area on the left side, right in the crease of my upper thigh. Pulling my legs together does not hurt. It is when I open my legs or cross my left leg, and I can’t flex my left hip out while standing. There is no redness or swelling and it has been going on since March.
The pain keeps getting worse. I have seen a Chiropractor, a physical therapist and even had an ultra sound to rule of DVT. The Chiropractor hasn’t helped as yet or the physical therapist.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 3 months ago.
What you are describing sounds like a muscle sprain. Depending on the severity of the sprain, recovery could take a few days or a few weeks. I would recommend icing the affected area for 20 minutes every hour 5 times a day for 1 week.
In addition, I would recommend taking 400 mg of Motrin every 8 hours as needed for the pain. Please avoid exercise or strenuous activity for at least 1-2 weeks.