Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center

On the lower left back of my ehad, it is vey tender. feels

Customer Question

on the lower left back of my ehad, it is vey tender. feels swollen to me but others who have compared it to the right side do not thik so. I have shooting pains and it seems to happen when I move my head, laugh, sometimes swallow. nurse at work noticed a red dot below where it is most tender...maybe a bug bite. Just alittle concerned
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? Any nausea along with the headache?
Customer: Just started in past few days. Much more noticeable today and has the shooting pain. actually a couple of nauseas moments but it was once after exercise and once -don't remember. have been slightly dizzy in past few weeks now that I think about it.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have diabetes and I tale cholesterol medication that has been backorderd for a week so I have not taken it. I have a DRs apt tomorrow for a shoulder ailment (from exercise) so I will get prescription and certainly talk about this pain in my head
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 3 months ago.

• Your symptoms should not be discounted or played down. The main concern is an entity called "Temporal Arteritis" which is easy to treat, if timely diagnosed, but could have serious consequences if left untreated or if the treatment is delayed
  • It could be a focal infection, like an abscess
  • I would advise you to have it checked today at your local emergency room. If temporal Arteritis is suspected based on the clinical exam, you will need to be started on steroid immediately pending further testing which will include an Ultra-sound and possibly biopsy
  • There are other less likely issues, but the first is a priority to consider and confirm/exclude

Let me know if you have any further questions. If this asnwers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes