Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology

I am an 87 yr old female. The results of an MRI w+w/o

Customer Question

I am an 87 yr old female. The results of an MRI w+w/o contrast RB showed that I have cerebral volume loss not unexpected for my age and white matter signal changed most compatible with moderate chronic small vessel ischemia which has progressed since 2007.Would you please explain what this means. My Dr. said I did not have a stroke, yet there is major vessel flow voids preserved at the base of my skull. What is my prognosis ?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

volume loss in the brain is called brain atrophy and can occur more as we all get older

you are age 87.

moderate chronic small vessel ischemia results from bad blood vessels in your body like from smoking, diabetes, high cholesterol, obesity, lack of exercise, or just advancing age.

ischemia means lack of blood flow

if the blood vessels to the brain are not in good shape, this can cause lack of proper blood flow to the brain which can cause atrophy and shrinkage of the brain tissues.

every patient's prognosis is different with brain atrophy. many patients can continue to live years and years with this problem

usually other medical problems in your body affects your health more.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using