Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans

I'm 62, and in the last month have been getting very tight,

Customer Question

I'm 62, and in the last month have been getting very tight, squeezing pains in both arms. The pain "travels" from my upper arm to my fingers, and doesn't remain in one place. I'm in good health. My only medications are bio-identical hormones.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No swelling. The pain is intense, but isn't constant. It comes and goes and feels almost constricting.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. The presence of intermittent pain as well as presence of pain in both arms can be indicative of a problem with the cervical spine. This would cause compression of the nerves which arise from the neck and supply both of the arms. Usually the pain can be sharp, stabbing in nature and may be accompanied by burning, tingling, numbness in teh arms. in severe cases the pain may also be accompanied by weakness in the arms. This can occur even without the presence of any neck pain. This would be diagnosed with the help of a clinical examination and also a MRI of the neck. You may also need a NCS/EMg test done to determine if the nerves are compressed. Once diagnosed it can be managed with the help of painkillers, physiotherapy as well as steroid injections into the region. Drugs like lyrica or neurontin would also be useful.

Another cause can be associated with the nerves of the limbs themselves, the nerves can be damaged because of neuropathy which can occur in many conditions like diabetes, vitamin B12 deficiency, infections, autoimmune disorders etc. This would again need to be diagnosed with the help of a NCS test. The treatment is usually of teh underlying cause however lyrica and neurontin can also be helpful.

Since the pain is intense i would recommend that you have this evaluated immediately at an urgent care center or the ER otherwise do see your doctor to get this evaluated ASAP. In the meantime use OTC painkillers like motrin or aleve to help with the pain.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,