DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years

I have had a Chronic Migraine headache since January 2016. I

Customer Question

I have had a Chronic Migraine headache since January 2016. I have been in the ER 2 times and the last doctor in the ER said that I should be on PERCOCET and take it when the pain level starts to increase. When I go in to the ER, my pain level is usually a "10". He said that I shouldn't wait that long as he wasn't able to bring it down. Three doctors I went to will not prescribe "controlled substances."..... so how do I find a doctor that can help me?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. Bonilla, experienced in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care.

I understand your concerns. In your case you should look for a pain clinic. They usually have more experience with opioids. Your PCP can refer you to pain clinic. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 3 months ago.

In fact percocette is a very bad medication to use for migraine.

Migraine patients that use opiates chronically have very bad outcomes in studies done. they have higher rates of heart disease, early death from other causes, and other problem.

Just going to a pain clinic is not going to get you a medication you want.

And this medication can make your overall migraine picture worse.

I suggest that you go to a headache specialist, pain clinic or headache clinic. There are many, many proper medication choices which I am sure you have not had.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Find me by request in medical for correct and up to date answers. Stay safe.

Please click a positive rating at the top of this page

Find me as needed.