DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years

I had three concussions over a 6 month period about 3 years

Customer Question

I had three concussions over a 6 month period about 3 years ago. I have episodes of partial seizures when over tired and rather constant fasiculations as well as trigeminal neuralgia ever since my injuries. My doctor has me on oxcarbazepine 0.5 1 tablet 2 x a day. I would like to be on Brivact instead but my Dr is not agreeable. I have a genetic predisposition to Alzheimer's and an increased risk due to my 3 concussions. Brivact can treat my seizures, my neuralgia and possibly help ward off impending Alzheimer's Disease which I lost both of my parents to. I am so frustrated that I cannot get a drug that clearly has tremendous upside for me in my particular case. Can you help me?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 3 months ago.

I am not sure what your medical question is.

No, you can not get the drug on line legally if that is what you are asking.

Or, do you have specific questions about this situation?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My question is is there any reson Brivact would not be an appropriate choice?

By the way, I think you mean Briviact.

It is a newly approved drug and the ONLY FDA indication [approval] is for adjunctive therapy for partial onset seizures when a fist medication is not working well enough.

So: it is not indicated for the other purposes you mention.

It is only indicated for partial onset seizures and this might not be your seizure type.

It is not indicated as a primary , first line drug.

In other words, any other use is either not indicated or in the research stages only.

This might be an explanation for your doctor's decision.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here