Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans

I have very light numbness in my three first fingers of my

Customer Question

I have very light numbness in my three first fingers of my right leg.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No swelling. Only numbness which actually don't affect me very much.I'm not diabetic
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had varicose veins taken out by laser
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Neurologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well numbness in the first three fingers of the right leg can be an indication of compression of nerves at any location throughout its origin from the spine down into the leg. This would sometimes also cause symptoms like burning, tingling or even sharp shooting pains in the region. The diagnosis can be made very easily with the help of a simple NCS/EMG test which would be able to diagnose exactly at which location the compression is located and then it can be treated with steroid injections, surgery to relieve the compression or even drugs like lyrica etc.

Now at the same time the numbness can also be a consequence of neuropathy EVEN if you dont have diabetes. The reason being that neuropathy can occur due to numerous causes and not only diabetes for example vitamin B12 deficiency, infections, lead, autoimmune disorders, thyroid disorders etc all can cause this problem as well. This again would be diagnosed with a simple NCS/EMG test and then treated for the underlying cause. However lyrica and neurontin would be helpful here as well.

Now it is also possible that one the nerves may have been damaged during your varicose surgery and if that is the case again a NCS would be diagnostic. Now i would recommend that you schedule a visit to your doctors office and get the NCS done at the same time your doctor can run basic tests to see if there are any electrolyte imbalances which can also cause the numbness.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.