dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I have ten years of experience to handle patients in different fields including Neurology.

My husband had the NPH shunt implanted December, 2014. Doing

Customer Question

My husband had the NPH shunt implanted December, 2014. Doing pretty well, however he has a really bad knee problem and should have knee replacement surgery. The doctors don't want him to have general anethesia so we're at an impass. He is totally miserable and the shots only help some and sometimes like last month not at all and then he has to wait 3 months for the next one. I can't find anything on the internet that tells how an operation would affect him.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  dr abid replied 3 months ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for the question ...

NPH shunt is not the absolute contraindication for General anesthesia , patient on shunt can undergo GA , there must be some other reason for which dr is not willing for GA .

It would be ideal that you should consult Anesthesiologist for his fitness .

As far as NPH shunt is concerned , there is no contraindication for GA .

Regards .

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Expert:  dr abid replied 3 months ago.

Are you there ...