DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

Bedridden 1 year from auto accident, Leg kept in 30 degree

Customer Question

Bedridden 1 year from auto accident, Leg kept in 30 degree position to allow fractured and broken bones to heel on 72 year old healthy woman. Artificial knee scheduled in about 5 weeks. and we cannot get the leg to straighten more than 24 degrees, from 31 degrees, in 4 therapy treatments, but the tendons are extremely tight and progress is slowing. Question , can the knee be replaced if leg is not straight, and if so can they get the leg length correct? And if so, can therapy be continued after the knee replacement, to get the leg straight? all pins and plates have been removed 4 weeks ago. she has no pain but we are doubtful the leg will be straight in time for the knee replacement.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 4 months ago.

Hello

The surgery can be done but I am going to advise you as follows.

The surgery is elective, and can be delayed.

This situation needs immediate consultation from an MD specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation, if that has not been done. This should not be left solely in the hands of the physical therapist. There are likely lower spine problems, at least in terms of posture, but maybe more, in this situation. That can become aggravated during surgery if not addressed before hand.

The lack and body should be rehabbed as MUCH as possible before surgery is done.

Pm&R doctors are now plentiful.

Find one immediately.

Rehab should continue after surgery as well.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/