Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans

What kind of doctor would treat the following symptoms?: and

Customer Question

what kind of doctor would treat the following symptoms?: and what would the treatment be?
excessive swelling of the feat...excessive numbness in the feet....excessive heat in
the feet....I am not a diabetic.....the numbness is starting to scare me....esp.when
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now the numbness and excessive heat in the feet are classic symptoms of neuropathy. Neuropathy doesnt always occur because of diabetes. This is because there are numerous causes of this problem, including vitamin deficiency, lead, infections, autoimmune disorders etc. Now peripheral neuropathy is ideally treated by a neurologist and this usually requires determining the underlying cause of the problem. But drugs like lyrica can be helpful if gabapentin doesnt suit you. In addition other options are available like TENS therapy which would help with the pain and numbness.

the swelling of the feet in combination with your other symptoms can be indicative of a thyroid disorder which can cause neuropathy as well as swelling of the feet. This would be diagnosed with a simple thyroid function test. Once diagnosed treatment is fairly simple with hormone replacement therapy.

Another cause of the swelling and numbness in the feet can be associated with kidney disease which can be diagnosed with urine tests and renal function tests. If that has been ruled out then looking into autoimmune disorders would be the next best option here. Simple tests like ANA, ESR and a complete ENA profile would be helpful.

Now i would suggest that you have your neurologist run a NCS/EMG test to determine if you have neuropathy and at the same time consider using other drugs to control the symptoms. In addition you should see an internist who can determine what can be the cause of these symptoms and he can refer you to the required specialist once he narrows down the causes.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,