Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

My 10 year old daughter has had seizure like episodes 5

Customer Question

My 10 year old daughter has had seizure like episodes 5 times in the last 10 mths. They last about 30 sec then she mumbles for about 15 sec then back to normal. We had her tale a cr scan and blood work all was normal but her eeg came back today abnormal for siezure activity. We are scheduled for a appt with a neuro thursday july 7. I need some piece of mind now anything i can get plz. What shoild i do and what is this seizure she never has had this issue before.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 5 months ago.

Hello this is Dr Salama MD,

Seizure disorder is quite common amongst children and fortunately it can be easily diagnosed and treated.

Since you have already completed an EEG and gotten the diagnosis, the next step is that the neurologist will likely place her on daily antiepileptic medication which can effectively manage her seizure activity.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Hello this is Dr Salama MD,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you but i havent seen a neuro yet. Just my dr told me that it was abnormal eeg activity. So does that actually mean its seizures? Or in this case its only happened a 4-5 times in the last 9 mths will it go away ?

Yes, an abnormal EEG likely means that she has a seizure disorder since that's the only thing that it looks for.

Typically, antiepileptic medication is initiated after the second seizure or if she has a syndrome or lesion that puts her at high risk for seizure recurrence.