DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years

I have epiodes when my heart will flutter, my left arm and

Customer Question

I have epiodes when my heart will flutter, my left arm and tip of tongue goes numb then I become unresponsive,stare, can't move or speak. i can hear, see and am aware of everything around me. i can blink my eyes for yes and no responses. this began 10 years ago, and was believed to be mini strokes. These spells last from a few minutes to 15. When I am comimg out from the spell my body muscles/nerves whatever involuntarily jerks for a few minutes.
I have had, EKGs, MRIs, EEGs, neurological testing, stress tests, nothing shows positive.
Four years ago diagnosed with Anxiey attacks and take Xanax when i feel a spell coming on. for the most part that has worked.
lately i am having more and more attacks. Three days ago I had eleven spells in one day, some lasting longer than usual. Usually i just have one or two then not again for long periods of time.
this week the jerking has preceded the spells, and lasts throughout and after. These spells are happening more frequently and my heart rate is running in the mid 50's, when 72-80 is normal for me.
i don't go to the hospital because they run lots of expensive tests and again never find anything or give me a diagnosis that changes anything. Also, unless I am having an episode it's hard to describe and they can't detect anything. i have had episodes at the hospital, they have ran multiple tests and still no positive diagnosis.
i just don't know where or how to proceed from here. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.
Thank you.
Ramona Phillips(###) ###-####
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 3 months ago.

First, psychological disorders can produce this.

Second, you need a sleep deprived EEG.;

Ask for that specifically.

This will often pick up atypical seizures that are not picked up on regular EEG.

An EKG is not suficient to diagnose heart problems.

That needs a 24 to 48 hour holter monitor, which you wear for that period of time.

Please click a positive rating.

Let me know if you have more information or questions.