Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans

I have episodes of pain arising at the left side from the

Customer Question

Hi Pearl ... Good Day ... I have episodes of pain arising at the left side from the back of the skull, going all the way to the left side of my head, forehead and back of the eye ... It does not hurt at all in some position, but in some positions or actions the pain is a stabbing and shooting
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No ... none .. Massaging or hot water bath seems to relieve the pain for a while but then it returns ... This pain comes and goes on its own ... I dont know the causes of it
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing ...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Neurologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing this pain can be due to a number of conditions, the first one which comes to mind is that you could hav occipital neuralgia. This is a condition in which you could have damage to the nerves in the occipital region. This can be in the form of stabbing or shooting pain or even burning in some cases. This would be diagnosed on a clinical examination and then treated with specialized medications.

Another cause of this pain can be Occipital Migraine which is essentially a localized form of migraine. this can cause intermittent pain as well as symptoms of blurring of vision or even flashes of lights in front of the eyes. The diagnosis is again clinical and would be treated with painkillers as well as prophylactic medications like topamax to prevent further attacks.

Another cause can be Parsoxymal hemicrania in which half of the head can be involved and this is another form of migraine or can be considered a separate entity as well. This again would be diagnosed on a clinical examination.

Now it is also possible that you could have a muscular origin of the pain as massage seems to be improving the situation. This would be treated with simple painkillers like motrin or aleve and you would also benefit from increasing your intake of water, eliminating caffeine and alcohol from your diet and increasing the intake of electrolyte rich fluids.

Now if you have other symptoms like weakness or numbness in the limbs, nausea, vomiting, blurring of vision, balance issues, difficulty speaking or if the intensity of the pain worsens at any time, then IMMEDIATELY go to the ER. Otherwise this needs to be evaluated by a neurologist at the earliest opportunity. It is possible that you might need a CT scan or a MRI of the brain to have this diagnosed.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,