Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans

I have an itch on the inside of the ball of my foot. Its

Customer Question

i have an itch on the inside of the ball of my foot. Its deep and it drives me crazy. I rub my foot on the cement, I scratch it with a fork, what ever I can use to get the itching to go away. I've used cortisone creme and it does nothing. I've read other people have this with now reason and its lasted years. I have a neuroma on that foot and I've noticed since the itching started, the neuroma is not as painful. Any ideas?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your problem with itching. Pruritus of this sort can be due to mortons neuroma even if the neuroma isnt painful by itself and if this is the case here then treating the neuroma itself may be helpful. But another cause of this can be related to the nerves themselves, neuropathic itching has been documented to be a known cause in many patients. This can be a conseuqence of peripheral neuropathy which is a condition in which the nerves of the feet may be damaged because of an underlying disease like diabetes, vitamin deficiency etc. This would be diagnosed with the help of a simple NCS and can also cause symptoms like burning, numbness etc in the region. The treatament can be with the help of drugs like lyrica or gabapentin.

Now there are other medications which can be used to treat itching of this sort which include cyproheptadine, ondansteron, paroxitine etc. However all of these drugs are prescription drugs and you would have to visit your doctor to get a prescription for them. You can also try using OTC antihistamines in the meanwhile to control the itching, try using benadryl or zyrtec or claritin, they can be very effective. But it would be best if you have this evaluated by your doctor to determine the underlying cause.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,