Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)

The top of my left thumb went numb out of the blue this

Customer Question

The top of my left thumb went numb out of the blue this morning and the feeling has not returned.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No medications.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have asthma. And am allergic to sulfa drugs. That's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Neurologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

What is your age & gender?

Is there any recent history of injury to thumb?

Any pain or swelling there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello,I am a 32 year-old male. No recent injuries. I recently had a numbing of my left hand occasionally when I flexed my left elbow. But it has not occurred with much frequency. I work as a chef and unfortunately do a lot of repetitive motion especially with my wrist, elbows, shoulders, arms and hands. No pain and no swelling.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
then today of course I noticed that the top side of my left thumb has a numb sensation and has not returned 12 hours later.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

Numb thumb can be due to the decrease of blood supply in this area. It can also be caused by damage to the nerve associated with thumb. The most common causes of numbness in thumb are:nerve compression syndromes like from carpal tunnel syndrome,pressure on the nerves,high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke,transient ischemic attack.Also this can be due to :Underactive thyroid,abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body,lack of vitamin B12,certain medications.

Considering your symptoms & your occupation of chef with lot of repetitive motion the nerve compression seems to be the most probable cause.

You need following tests:

-Nerve conduction studies,
-Certain blood tests,

This is not a serious or dangerous condition.I advice you to make an appointment with a neurologist for these tests to confirm the exact cause & hence its treatment accordingly.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Dear customer

Is there anything else that you would like to know. , I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards