Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a hard, bluish discolored, painful to touch area to

Customer Question

I have a hard, bluish discolored, painful to touch area to my right mid back my calf almost tooth inner bend of my knee. My mother says it is a varicose vien. All sensation, movement and pulses are good. Are there any treatments for this.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 5 months ago.

Hello!

If this change / discoloration/ tenderness / has come on suddenly then I would have concern that you might have a problem with a blood clot of the leg ( DVT) that if the case then that would be very serious ...

If the calf has swollen become painful then I advise get checked at ER now ...they may check a blood test -- D-dimer -- that screens for abnormal clotting activity

They may check the big vessels of the leg for clot and normal flow ..Doppler ultrasound

If just a varicose vein than that is not serious ...The vein should be soft and easily compressed

The calf should not be swollen or sore/ tender

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD