khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.

Thank you. I have really bad circulation in my right leg,

Customer Question

thank you for responding. I have really bad circulation in my right leg, sometimes lots of tingling. It often gets numb between my knee area and toes and I have to hit it or shake it or just wait until the blood flows again. I don't talk about it. I injured my leg in 2008 and never went back for an MRI because I didn't have insurance, since that injury, I've been having problems with this leg. Sometimes I get pain up to my hip. I recently tested negative for diabetes, so am concern about what gangrene is. I'm just learning the different kinds. I haven't notice any discoloration on my toes, but then again, I had athletes foot 4 years ago and the doctor gave me a creame and the cream turned my toes slightly darker than what they use to be. I know this is a lot, but should I be concerned with these symptoms?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: I have swelling a lot in my ankle area and it gets numb a lot to the point that I can't get up until the feeling comes back. I have to be careful working out in hopes that my leg don't go numb.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: There is diabetes on both sides of my family and high blood pressure, that's all I know.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  khagihara replied 4 months ago.

How old are you? Are you a male or a female? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Any skin change? Loss of hair on the leg? Shining skin on the leg? Can you attach the photos of the legs here? Does anything make the tingling better or worse? When did it start? Is it consistent? Is it getting worse? When you press the food with the finger, does the dent remain for a while? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Am a 39 year old female. 5ft 8in and I weight 135 lbs. I lost over 50 lbs in the past 3 years. I was over weight in 2008 at the time of the injury. I don't feel comfortable posting photos. Sometimes when I eat certain foods I see a swelling, but the numbness d tingling has been going on for about 5 years. When I press on the foot I don't get a dent or any thing.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There's no lost of hair on the leg, no shining. I guess I would have to check and see if there's a dent and a reaction when my leg swells to to answer. This numbness and tingling doesn't happen everyday, but enough for me to notice.

Exactly where in the leg were you injured? Can you tell me more about the injury? When you walk, does the symptoms occur? When you take a rest after the walk, are the symptoms gone? When you press the area, do you feel pain?

How did you lose weight?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I sit and have to get up, I feel the numbness and tingling and bad circulation then, or when I cross my leg for too long. I feel some pain in my ankle that's where the injury was and some pain up my hip. I lost the first 15 lbs in less than 2 months with Phentermine. My doctor said at the time it was ok and their would be no fatal side affects to worry about. Should I be worried?!

Although it is less likely young woman has bad circulation, you should see a vascular surgeon to have a doppler ultrasound to have the blood flow measured. If it is negative, you should see a neurologist to have neurological exam, a blood test, nerve conduction test, and imaging studies if necessary.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much for the information. So basically I should be worried? Any doctors in those professions you can refer me to in the New York City area?

Sorry I don't know the doctors in NYC area. You should see your primary care doctor and ask her/him to refer the specialist to you.