Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology

Pain extending 3-4 inches above RH ankle. Has been red --

Customer Question

Pain extending 3-4 inches above RH ankle. Has been red for months -- now painful. Months ago, my vascular surgeon dismissed the red area as an area where blood was going both ways in those veins, instead of some up, some down. Said to wear support knee stockings. Today, I woke up with about 50-percent pain in the area -- always there, but worse when walk or move ankle around. Is this a neurological problem, or vascular?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

it does sound like you have bad venous status issues in your lower leg, ankle which can cause dark red skin changes in your lower ankle.

the pain can sometimes be from cellulitis infection of soft tissues.

you need to ask your doctors if you have celluliits and if you need a course of antibiotics to help clear up soft tissue infection.

you may have to cut down on salt intake which can cause you to retain more fluid and have more venous status in your legs.

when you elevate your legs and ankles above your heart, you may need to try to ice the foot and ankle as well to decrease swelling and pain.

you should try compression stockings as well which can help squeeze out excessive fluid out of your leg.

regular walking and exercise could help push fluid out of your leg as well

let me know if you have questions.