Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans

I blacked out second or two yesterday and wanted to know if

Customer Question

I blacked out for a second or two yesterday and wanted to know if this is something serious that needs immediate attention. I cannot get an appointment with a neurologist today but wondering if I should go to an urgent care or a local family practice today or if I can wait. To elaborate on the blackout: I was in the middle of a conversation and I felt something like a small electric shock in my head and then completely black - like I was watching TV and it just went off. It must have only lasted a second or two because I was able to get right back into the conversation. But the other person noticed and asked if I was ok. So, is this something I should be concerned about?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your black out. Did you have any palpitations? Any headaches? any weakness or numbness in the limbs? Other medical conditions and medications? Any other symptoms apart from the black out?

Customer: replied 4 months ago. palpitations, headaches or weakness. The only thing I noticed was throughout the day, I had some discomfort in my neck and back of my head which, I thought may have been the result of sleeping poorly or over-exercising.

Thank you for the additional information.

Now since this has not happened again and you seem to be fine today and the fact that you didnt have any other symptoms, it is possible that you can wait for a day or two to see your neurologist. however if this happens again or if you develop any other symptoms like headaches, weakness or numbness in the limbs, visual disturbances, palpitations, sweating, chest pain etc then you would have to immediately go to the ER. This sort of black out can be due to transient drop in blood pressure or even due to more serious issues. A heart arrhythmia can cause this sort of problem in which you would have abnormal heart rhythms as well as palpitations. A EKG would be useful as well as 24 hour holter monitor. Another cause of this can be a small seizure in the brain which again would be diagnosed with a EEG and MRI of the brain along with other tests.

Now while this can be serious, it is important to watch out for the additional symptomswhich i described above, if they occur at any time, immediately go to the ER otherwise you can wait till tomorrow to see your PCP or neurologist. I would recommend a PCP first as he can narrow down the causes and then refer you to the exact specialist.

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Are there any other questions, If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can ask followup questions after the rating.