Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine

Ive been having twitching years. My face has locked up twice

Customer Question

Ive been having facial twitching for 2 years. My face has locked up twice for about a minute both times. The twitching is in my eyes and around my mouth. I was told it was Hemifacial spasms and have been on Baclofen for a year and spasms still occur...What are other options?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with experience in treating all neurological and other medical conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Anything else tried other than Baclofen?

Hemifacial spasm is considered due to irritation of the Facial nerve (the cranial nerve that supplies the muscles in the face).

Since you have not mentioned other treatments so I assume nothing else was tried other than Baclofen. Accordingly I will make the following recommendations.

A) It is initially treated with oral medications which include;

Baclofen (you have already tried)

Carbamazepine etc

You have already tried Baclofen without much help, so you may consider one of the other meds mentioned above.

B) If none of the above meds help then the next treatment option is Botox Injection – which is very effective in treating this condition

C) If Botox fails then certain surgical treatment options like Microvascular Decompression etc is tried – which is also very effective for treating this condition.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,