Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

Need some help. I'm 31 and healthy. I have some issues.

Customer Question

Hi. Need some help. I'm 31 and healthy. I have some issues.
My cheek, jaw, and temples on both sides feel fuller right. More so on one side.
At the top of my forehead on the side that hurts the most, is a small tender spot on the hairline of my forehead. If I press on it, feels like a bruise.My pain isn't a headache but more like a tightness. It moves around but mainly my temples.
I have anxiety and went to the doctor. Started me
On antibiotic..for sinus. I have a very deviated septum.
The feeling is much more when I'm thinking about it. Now it's been a week and I'm very focused on it.
My neck and shoulders are also achy. I sleep great and it starts after I'm awake for awhile. No pain upon waking.Worried about a brain tumor or something crazy going on. Please help! Can temple and face tightness be from something sinister?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. These symptoms are NOT an indication of anything sinister, simply because you have undergone a complete examination at your doctors office. All of these symptoms point towards anxiety as being the cause of your symptoms more than anything else. Now if there was a brain tumor it would cause headaches along with other symptoms like weakness or numbness in the limbs, blurring of vision, difficulty speaking etc. Secondly headaches of brain tumors can wake you from sleep and can occur early in the morning.. Since you dont have these symptoms it is unlikely that these symptoms can be due to a brain tumor. The tightness can however be an indication of tension headaches which can present in this manner. This would be treated with simple painkillers. Sinusitis can also cause these symptoms as well as antibiotics should help in clearing that up easily. If that doesnt work, then sinus lavages would be helpful as well.

The spot which is tender on your head could be a small infection like folliculitis in which the hair follicle can be infected with bacteria. This can be diagnosed on a clinical examination and then treated with the help of antibiotics which you are already on. Try relaxation techniques and see if that helps, behavioural therapy can also be helpful.

So in summary this sounds like a combination of sinusitis and tension headaches, with anxiety playing a role in worsening the symptoms. This isnt anything sinister from the sounds of things.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. So the tender spot on the forehead wouldn't be from pressure causing soreness?
Also,
I don't have morning pain at all and no other sight, memory, or speech. Just the random tightness. And a full feeling under my eye next to my nose.
So based on what I said...the tension headache isn't indicative for a brain tumor symptom?

No none of these symptoms are indicative of brain tumors. Since it feels like a bruise, folliculitis can be a cause here. It is unlikely to be due to any serious like brain tumor. tension headaches arent due to brain tumors.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. This might reduce my anxiety. It's been all I can focus on.
When I'm busy in conversation. I don't notice it. I eat good and have good energy. It doesn't make me want to lay down or anything. Just feels tight.
Can neck issues cause this?

Cervicogenic headaches are a known entity which can cause headaches, tightness in the head and neck region, dizziness. But those occur if you have problems with discs in the spine or arthritis in the neck. A simple MRI of the neck could rule this out. Biut i still think this is due to the issues i described above.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would a brain tumor cause a pulsating headache or tightness?

A brain tumor wouldnt cause tightness and a pulsating headache is usually an indication for a vascular problem or a migraine.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Thank you. I googled this tightness and came across scary stuff. So I was very concerned about it.Thank you. This tightness I feel or fullness in my face and temples must be anxiety/sinus or my tmj

Yes very likely to be one of those conditions as we discussed earlier. Just relax and continue with your antibiotics. If done for now, please leave a positive rating as until you do we are not compensated for helping you.

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can ask followup questions after the rating.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I want to know of allergy antihistamine eye drops..can cause dilation of pupil?

Yes they can very commonly. Many antihistamine eye drops, infact most of them will cause dilation of the pupil. Also please remember to leave a POSITIVE rating, that is the ONLY way we are compensated for helping you.

Yes they can very commonly. Many antihistamine eye drops, infact most of them will cause dilation of the pupil. Also please remember to leave a POSITIVE rating, that is the ONLY way we are compensated for helping you