Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

I had my wrist twjsted and the pulled behind my back. I can

Customer Question

I had my wrist twjsted and the pulled behind my back. I can mive my wrist but it hurts
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Since it happened last nighy and moving it makes it worse
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: Ifl lift anything or supinate or pronate my wrist
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have sublaxative joints
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now there are a number of things which could be causing you this amount of pain. the first one which comes to mind is that you could have damaged on of the tendons or even more than one of the tendons in the wrist. This could be due to minor tears in the tendons or even a major tear depending on the amount of force which was applied. if this is the case then you would need a clinical examination and if needed a MRI would be done to determine the extent of the damage. in most cases rest, painkillers are adequate however in severe tears surgery may be needed.

Another cause of this pain can be severe muscle spasm or muscle sprain. If this is the case then you would need to apply topical voltaren gel on the region and use OTC painkillers like motrin and aleve. In addition you should apply ice on the area and apply a compression bandage. This can be followed by muscle relaxants as well.

lastly considering your joints it is possible that you may have dislocated one of the joints and if this is the case then you would need an xray of the wrist joint as well as the hand. this would be then treated with bringing the joint back into place.

Now i would suggest that you start applying the voltaren gel and use OTC painkillers but this does need to be evaluated by visiting your doctor and getting an xray done to start with.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I take cocodomol and ibuprofen daily and voltorol gel anyway

Then you should apply Ice to the area but this needs an xray and a MRI as soon as possible. Simpy because if your pain is not controlled on these three painkillers, in various forms, it basically means that there is a serious injury which is causing the problem. To summarize it can one of three things,

1) tendon damage

2) muscle sprain/tear

3) Joint dislocation

This needs urgent evaluation and infact considering the amount of pain that you are under, a better option would be the ER.

Would you like additional information?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just got back from the emergency department

And did they run any tests? Xrays? What was the diagnosis on examination? and more importantly, has your pain resolved after visiting the ER?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had dislocated my wrist

As i thought, then im sure they must have reduced it and applied a splint/cast, i hope you are feeling better now. Try to rest it as much as possible.