Andrea Tavlan
Andrea Tavlan, Doctor
Experience:  General Pediatrician (MD) at Children's Medical Associates

When I raise my arms above my head, I can see and feel the

Customer Question

when I raise my arms above my head, I can see and feel the blood retreat down the veins in my arm. What's going on?
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This doesn't seem to be a neurology question.
Expert:  Andrea Tavlan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Tavlan and I think I can help you. This is likely a normal finding. The blood vessels that travel from your heart to your body (arteries) are strong and muscular, and squeeze the blood along actively. The veins, which bring the blood back to your heart, are different - they are soft and don't pump blood actively. Veins rely on gravity and the movement of your muscles to push the blood back to your heart. When you lift your arms up, gravity pulls the blood back to your heart, like water going down a drain. If you are not having pain or discomfort when this happens, it is likely nothing to be concerned about. Do you have any other information that you think I should know for this answer, or do you have a follow-up question? If so, please leave me a reply. Otherwise, I would appreciate a rating. Thank you!