Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia recently. The

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia recently. The medication I started on is gabapentin, and a few weeks ago added cymbalta. I also take levothyroxin for thyroid. I take the levothyroxin and 100 ? of the gabapentin early morning. 30 minutes later I take my cymbalta. I do take some vitamins during the day as well. Around 7ish PM I take 300 mg or mcg? gabapentin. Then, at bedtime I sometimes take 1/2 trazadone for sleep, as well as melatonin. The medication seems to be doing its job, as I do feel so much better. However, I feel bloated and have bowel trouble. I am either constipated or diahrea. The past week and a half, I have bowel movements, but they are soft, and pencil thin, or diahrea. I feel nautious and bloated. Could the medication be to blame, and should I take at different times.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

cymbalta can cause symptoms of diarrhea or constipation

your symptoms could also be due to IBS irritable bowel syndrome.

I would not stop your medications at this point.

I would see your doctor to discuss your GI symptoms

you may benefit from adding a probiotic into your diet.

if the cymbalta continues to cause GI side effects, your doctors might switch you to Savella to treat your fibromalgia.

you may have to keep a food diary of what you eat to see what foods could be irritating your system.

how old are you?

with new GI bowel syndrome, you may need a colonoscopy to look inside of your colon.

let me know if you have other questions.