Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have seen my neurologist and had a brain MRI, everything

Customer Question

I have seen my neurologist and had a brain MRI, everything came back negative, and also seen my primary care doctor recently. My primary care doctor believes that I have chronic fatigue syndrome as I currently am still in the convalescent stage of the Epstein barre virus. I have had weakness of muscles, twitching of muscles that are visible pretty much throughout the day (worse when I'm at rest and mainly in my calves), feeling of spider webs on my hands and wrists, and just started having a pressure/heaviness feeling in my left eye. Is it possible that I have ALS or since the neurologist checked me out and pretty much said all he could see was that I have EBV or Chronic fatigue is that all I have? The muscle twitching is scaring me and I have recently been testing my strength and also looking at my muscles. My right calf muscle looks like it doesn't flex as big as the left one (but the circumference of my calves are the same). Are any of these symptoms worrisome or should I just attribute them to the CFS?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 8 months ago.
Hello ,
Since you are recovering from EBV , I think that would be most reasonable cause of your symptoms . You have taken appropriate steps . I would advise daily NSAID ( Advil or Aleve) daily walks MODERATE level exercise as best in recovering from mono ....
Not excess strenuous nor too sedentary ...
I expect that you should see improvement steady over next 6 weeks or so typically ...
If you should have concern as to feeling worse , more prominent fasciculations, worse sense of weakness in 2 months time frame or so then follow up with neurologist ....
I expect mono is your main culprit as opposed to CFS or ALS as these I think are much less likely ......
Many times people note fasciculations for one reason or another and a little research brings up the concern for ALS...so I understand your concern but keep in mind the incidence of ALS is quite low ....
I hope that this information is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you .
If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and Best Regards ,
Anthony Bray MD