Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans

I have essential tremor what can be done

Customer Question

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your essential tremors. Now there are several other options which are still available to you. These include the following,

1) Beta blockers - these are usually the first drugs which are tried however if you havent been started on these, it would be wise to have your neurologist consider starting these. Most of the essential tremors can be controlled by beta blockers

2) Anti seizure medications - Now if the above two medications dont work in your case then other anti seizure drugs can be tried such as topiramate which has shown efficacy in many patients. Sometimes a combination of medications may have to be used. In addition tranquilizers may also be an option in many patients

3) OnabotulinumtoxinA (Botox) injections - These are an excellent option in those patients where other treatments have failed and these are especially effective in those patients where there are head and face tremors.

4) Deep brain stimulation - This is an option in refractory cases where the tremors are interfering a lot in daily life. This involves using a long probe to stimulate a particular region of the brain in order to control the tremors. This has been found to be very effective in refractory cases

Now in your case, i think the best option would be a combination of medications, if they dont work and the tremors are causing difficulty in performing daily normal activities then deep brain stimulation may be considered. I would suggest that you talk to your doctor about these additional modalities.

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,