Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

My left leg has felt aches. Like it is tired or over worked

Customer Question

my left leg has felt aches. Like it is tired or over worked from a very long hike. But when I take aspirin or ibpro it does not help it. It still aches. going on for 2 days.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you be more precise of the location of the pain?

Is this pain above or below the knee, or both?

Is this in the front or back? Inner or outer portion?

Have you noticed anything that makes the pain better or worse?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

There are many different conditions that can cause leg pain or aches. Most are benign, but some are potentially serious.

The most common causes are musculoskeletal conditions, and most frequent is degenerative disease, which can be manifested as arthritis, tendinitis or bursitis. There also can be various strained or pulled muscles. Various autoimmune or inflammatory conditions can also cause leg pain. The conditions are generally benign, and the aggressiveness of treatment is primarily determined by the severity of symptoms. The best over the counter medicines are the anti-inflammatory medicines, such as the ibuprofen that you have tried. It also may help to use local care, such as ice packs, moist heat, massage, and stretching exercises.

There are other possible causes of leg pain, such as inflammation in the veins. It is also possible to get blood clots form in inflamed veins, and this is a potentially serious condition if it affects a deep vein, because a portion of the blood clot can break off and travel to the lungs. Although a proper evaluation is the only accurate method for diagnosing or excluding the blood clot, better details about the location of the pain and any factors that affect the pain can help to indicate the level of concern that this may be present, which is why I asked for the additional information.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.