Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)

Last week I had an ear infection I am just completing a

Customer Question

Last week I had an ear infection for which I am just completing a round of antibiotics. The infection seems to be clearing up, but I also seem to have lost significant hearing in both ears. Also, my voice sounds funny to me -- like I'm talking underwater. I'm teaching a summer course and am having trouble hearing students' questions.
Any idea what the problem might be and steps I can take to restore my hearing?
Art Serianz
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

For how many days were you prescribed with antibiotics?

Do you know the name of antibiotic?

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

You had ear infection last week & are taking antibiotics.Middle ear infection (otitis media) causing swelling and pus may block sound from moving to the inner ear.This causes diminished hearing.

Transmission of sound from the environment to the inner ear is impaired, usually from the middle ear infection resulting in declined hearing.This form of hearing loss is usually temporary.

With complete course of antibiotics as prescribed, the infection will clear and hearing ability will improve.Hearing usually returns on its own after the infection goes away.

When the ear infection gets transmitted to throat via eustachian tube(a connection between middle ear & back of nose),your voice may get hoarse or abnormal.

So bot***** *****ne is as the infection will get cured completely,your hearing will be restored & your voice will become normal.

You just need to wait & watch your symptoms.

Nothing to worry.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards