Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)

Just trying to figure out week now in the evening this pain

Customer Question

just trying to figure out for a week now in the evening this pain is coming from the upper rear head... like someone hit me with a small bat. Of course when I get up from laying donw there is no pain it is lingering
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? Any nausea along with the headache?
Customer: daly around the same time 1am in the morning and no nausea
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Neurologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Does pain come from center part of head?

Do you have pain in neck?

Is pain continuous in nature or it comes in sharp attack?

Any other health or medical problems

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank You Dr Josh
It started a week ago. It is on the left top rear of head. It starts when I lay down and try to go to sleep. Sometimes it wakes me up like just now. My left side rear of my neck if i turn to the right gives me pain. I just tested it.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

From the description, it sounds to be Cervicogenic headache . This is one of the most common types of pain in the back of the head. This pain is typically located on just one side and may radiate around the side of the head.

As you said, pain becomes severe at times of turning neck to right side, so this confirms Cervicogenic headache.

Cervicogenic headache is referred pain perceived in the head from a source in the neck.

Possible cause in neck are- degenerative cervical spine disease (arthritis), a disc prolapse in the neck, or a whiplash injury or nerve compression.

This condition, would sometimes get worsened by looking up or down for a long time, or with activities such as driving or reading a book. It also feels better with rest or lying down.

You would be advised Nonsurgical Treatment to cure such symptoms, It includes-

1.Physical therapy- Therapist can advise cervical (neck) traction and posture therapy . Also Strengthening and stretching weakened or strained muscles would be helpful. It is usually advised for 6-8 weeks.

2.Use of medications like- Acetaminophen and Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen and and naproxen would be helpful. Doctor can also advise for Muscle relaxants such as cyclobenzaprine or carisoprodol.

3.Soft Collars would also be helpful, It would limit neck motion and allow the muscles of the neck to rest.

4.In case, symptoms don't improve with above treatment then, Steroid-Based Injections can also be given. A short course of oral corticosteroids may also help reduce swelling.

5.You need to apply ice packs on cervical spine for 10-15 minutes and it can be done 3-4 times a day

Most likely with above treatment you would feel better in next
1-2 weeks.

I would recommend that you visit your primary doctor and and get it managed.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any follow up questions?

Thank you