khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

Here is the situation and my symptoms. Two months ago I had

Customer Question

here is the situation and my symptoms.Two months ago I had a Ocular Migraine. Ended up going to the ER had some blood work, and was discharged with Ocular Migraine. Went and had my eyes checked with a eye doctor. She said it was Ocular Migraine as well. Fast forward to about two weeks ago, I was having headaches, sinus pressure, vertigo and just feeling awful. went to the ER again and once again given blood work, and CT scan of head and Sinuses. Diagnosed Chronic Sinutis. Okay had a game plan, see an ENT. About a few days later Went back to the ER because I developed tingling and burning in my fingers then my entire right arm went numb. Ended back in the ER and met with the head MD who said he was concerened about MS with all my symptoms. So I had an emergency MRI of my head and Neck with Contrast, as well as a ultrasound of my neck arteries. NOTHING was found. No diagnosis, and not idea of what is going on. Reassured Im okay and its likely stress. Okay I start to feel better after all these tests, (had more blood work as well in the ER) Then May 27th I have my second ocular migraine. Only lasted about 10 minutes. Threw up from it then felt better.Now I have anxiety about another occurence. My vision seems blurry and off. I see flashes of little dots randomly, and my eyes are super hypervigilant to everything. I am concentrating on my vision nearly all day and worrying I will go blind.Is there something serously wrong with me to be having these migraines. I have never had this before in my life and now out of nowhere I have had two episdoes. I am terrified.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  khagihara replied 7 months ago.

These symptoms temporarily interfere with certain activities, but they aren't considered serious. You don't need to worry about it. Reassured.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
should I be worried about the blurry vision issue.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

You don't need to worry about it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it likely anxiety. What can I do to diminish this fear of the ocular migraines

Blurry vision is also a symptom of ocular migraines.

The first step is to avoid triggers. These often include:

• Stress
  • smoking
  • High blood pressreu
  • Hormonal birth control pills
  • Exercise
  • Bending over
  • High altitude
  • Dehydration
  • Low blood sugar
  • Excessive heat

Your doctor would prescribe calcium-channel blockers, such as Cardene and Calan, to prevent it. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NAIDs) such as aspirin are also used. You should talk to your doctor.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've talked to my Dr and had a full eye exam. Dr said it was due to stress. The visionew after the ocular migraine has happened to me before and the eye doctor said stress. I just have so much anxiety about losing my vision

Okay. Did your doctor prescribe any medication to prevent ocular migraines? I think you need to see a neurologist to have it prescribed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have some meds.I guess I just need to know nothing bad will happen to me during these episodes. They scare me and I feel like I'm going to die when they happen.I'm on the mini pill as well since my Dr thinks they are hormonal migraines. Will this help prevent them?

It could trigger it. You should take calcium channel blocker so that it can prevent ocular migraines from occurring.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm fairly sure I have pmdd. What is the protocol for that matter?

You should take selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) including fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem), paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva), sertraline (Zoloft). SSRIs are the first line treatment for severe PMS or PMDD. It also reduces anxiety. These drugs are generally taken daily. But for some women with PMS, use of antidepressants may be limited to the two weeks before menstruation begins.

Please rate my answer positively. You can ask more questions after rating without additional cost.