Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Would like to speak to a neurologist in regards to some

Customer Question

Would like to speak to a neurologist in regards ***** ***** issues I'm having
Category: Neurology
Expert:  khagihara replied 9 months ago.

What is your problem?

Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

You may please post your question here.

Best regards,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the ER had some blood work, and was discharged with Ocular Migraine. Went and had my eyes checked with a eye doctor. She said it was Ocular Migraine as well. Fast forward to about two weeks ago, Iwas having headaches, sinus pressure, vertigo and just feeling awful. went to the ER again and once again given blood work, and CT scan of head and Sinuses. Diagnosed Chronic Sinutis. Okay had a game plan, see an ENT. About a few days later Went back to the ER because I developed tingling and burning in my fingers then my entire right arm went numb. Ended back in the ER and met with the head MD who said he was concerened about MS with all my symptoms. So I had an emergency MRI of my head and Neck with Contrast, as well as a ultrasound of my neck arteries. NOTHING was found. No diagnosis, and not idea of what is going on. Reassured Im okay and its likely stress. Okay I start to feel better after all these tests, (had more blood work as well in the ER) Then May 27th I have my second ocular migraine. Only lasted about 10 minutes. Threw up from it then felt better.Now I have anxiety about another occurence. My vision seems blurry and off. I see flashes of little dots randomly, and my eyes are super hypervigilant to everything. I am concentrating on my vision nearly all day and worrying I will go blind.Is there something serously wrong with me to be having these migraines. I have never had this before in my life and now out of nowhere I have had two episdoes. I am terrified.

First of all I reassure you it does not sound like you are having MS, or any other serious health issues. Your symptoms indeed sound like ocular migraine. Especially now with your mri of the brain too being normal we are certainly not dealing with MS or any structural problems in the brain like tumors or stroke etc.

Migraine can start any time in life, especially around your age. Not always there are any obvious trigger factors. But careful search for any trigger factor may reveal some trigger factor and avoiding such trigger may help in reducing or eliminating migraine attacks in the future.

The following are various examples of migraine triggers;

Varieties of food stuff (mentioned in details again below), food-preservatives (MSG, nitrates etc), caffeine, chemicals such as perfumes, cleaning agents, cigarette smoke, medication side effects, stress, depression, sleep deprivation, food deprivation (hypoglycemia or low blood sugar), weather changes, bright lights, video games, certain odors, hormonal, alcohol especially red wine etc; and for different people the triggers may be different.

These below are examples of the food triggers for migraine;

Avocados, Bananas, Beef liver, Blue cheese, Bologna, Canned soup, Camembert cheese, Cheddar cheese, Chic***** *****ver, Dates, Dried figs, Fava beans, Garbanzo beans, Kiwi, Lima beans, Nuts, Olives, Onions, Papaya, Peanut butter, Pepperoni, Pineapple, Pinto beans, Raisins, Raspberries, Red plums, Roquefort cheese, Salami, Sauerkraut, Soy sauce, Spinach, Stilton cheese, Summer sausage, Swiss cheese, Teriyaki, Tofu, Tomatoes, Yeast, Yeast extracts, ice cream, chocolate etc.

If you identify any of the above as a migraine trigger in your case try to avoid it as much as possible and as pointed above avoiding the triggers itself can significantly help in controlling the migraine attack and reduce the need for any migraine medications.

There are some indications that gluten intolerance (either associated with celiac disease or without celiac disease) and inflammatory bowel diseases etc too can increase the risk of migraine so you may talk to your clinic doctors and ask them to look for these diseases and if these diseases are present then they are treated appropriately.

If these attacks are occurring frequently then there are treatments also available. For the acute attacks and also for prevention of future attacks there are various medication treatments and non-medication treatment options available and if these attacks are happening again and again then you may consider starting such treatments.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The only trigger I can see is they have both occurred one week before my period. I just started the mini pill deblitane. Should this helps hormonal migraines?Also I have the distorted vision going on (not ocular kigraine) this happened after my first episode and eye Dr said it was stress. Could it be that? Just worried about my health

I am very sorry I couldn't reply earlier as I was away from the computer and just returned.

With just 2 episodes it is difficult to comment whether there could be any hormonal triggers, related around the time of period. and as far as the mini pill concerned, it may not help with migraines, this is because it is the estrogen deficiency which is supposed as a trigger for migraine, deblitane contains no estrogern, so if possible try to use a combination pill which contains both estrogen and progesterone preparation.

Stress causing or contributing to your symptoms is certainly a possibility in you. You may try to undergo a thorough medical check up to make sure there is no underlying medical conditions that are presenting as stress. If any underlying medical conditions are identified it needs to be treated appropriately. If no underlying medical conditions are identified then this is considered as primary stress and primary stress can be treated with one or more of stress-busters which may include non-medication treatments like - counselling/therapy, biofeedback, hypnotherapy, acupuncture, or medication treatments like benzodiazepines, buspirone, valerian root, kava etc.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. I have had a thorough workup, CT scan, brain mri, ekg, blood work (very thorough) amd nothing has been found.I guess I need to know that a ocular migraine won't kill me and it's just temporary. I have a hard time accepting that these aren't something more serious

Okay I see, you indeed did have a very thorough workup, so we are definitely not dealing with anything serious. So this appears to be migraine with some stress component too.

Ocular migraine is certainly not going to kill you. And also migraine is hardly a life long phenomenon, in most patients it is a temporary phenomenon. You may try undergo some treatment for the stress too. If stress is contributing then treating it can help with your migraines too, and also some of the the visual manifestations.

And once again I reassure you that you do not have any life threatening or serious, or permanent disorders.

You are very welcome! Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's just causing me a great deal of anxiety. I feel like I am constantly on edge for one to happen. Any tips on how to keep calm if I have another episode?

Stress busters mentioned above (these are anxiety busters too) can help you to remain calm in these circumstances. You may please refer to the various stress or anxiety busters mentioned earlier above, there are both non-medication and medication options which can be of help. In addition to the above special anti-stress/anti-anxiety treatments general measures like adequate daily exercises, especially aerobic exercises and healthy & balanced diet is recommended too since they also contribute the dilution of the stress & anxiety and help to remain calm.