Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology

I am working on a research paper having to do with neurology

Customer Question

hey I am working on a research paper having to do with neurology and I will get extra credit if I ask questions/interview a professional. My topic question is "How do Creative Ideas form in the Brain". I would really appreciate any help and references you recommend. Thank you.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David.

interesting paper.

"The researchers hypothesized that for a creative idea to be produced, the brain must activate a number of different -- and perhaps even contradictory -- networks. In the first part of the research, respondents were give half a minute to come up with a new, original and unexpected idea for the use of different objects. Answers which were provided infrequently received a high score for originality, while those given frequently received a low score. In the second part, respondents were asked to give, within half a minute, their best characteristic (and accepted) description of the objects. During the tests, all subjects were scanned using an FMRI device to examine their brain activity while providing the answer."

1. an idea is nothing more or less than a new combination of old elements 2. the capacity to bring old elements into new combinations depends largely on the ability to see relationships

"In analysis, a number of brain areas were more active when subjects were engaged in drawing words than when they were drawing zigzag lines. Peak activation occurred in the cerebellum and regions of the cortex known to be involved in coordinating motor control or acting as a visual sketchpad. The latter regions’ involvement in detailed drawing wasn't particularly surprising."
let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using