Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

I was on keppra 1500 mgm bid. & Vimpat 100mgm bid. post

Customer Question

I was on keppra 1500 mgm bid. & Vimpat 100mgm bid. post crainiotomy
for low grade glioma for more than 2 weeks now and doing very well except some irritability and dizziness and Iwant to taper down the Keppra dose down to 1000 bid what schedule you suggest please ....Thanks
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.

This is Dr. David

you need to talk to your neurosurgeons about if it is ok for you to taper down your keppra down to 1000mg BID.

what do you have? keppra 500 or 750mg pills?

if you have been taking it for only 2 weeks, you can most likely move down to 1500mg in the morning and 1000mg at night time for a week and then the second week move to 1000mg in the morning and night

this would be easier with 500mg pills. if your doctor has you on 750mg pills, you will have to ask your doctor for another prescription.

but you have to clear this taper schedule with your neurosurgeons first

do not cut, crush or chew the tablets.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 6 months ago.

Hello

Good question

The exact approach often depends upon surgeon preferences and findings during the operation, so you need those guidelines, or the rehabilitation doctor needs to communicate with the surgeon. The typical methodl involves the use of a soft sling immediately following the operation, taking the arm out for light movements and gently woring through the range of movement [this should be under guidance if possible.] At 10-14 days, under physical therapy guidance pulleys or therapy bands are used for ROM and strengthening; advance functional exercises and maintain and advance ROM until 6-8 weeks.

This is Dr. David

I think that above expert answer was posted in the wrong question thread.

you asked about tapering down on keppra.

do you have any other questions about tapering down on keppra?

do not cut, crush or chew the tablets.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com