Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I have had a strange dental problem with teeth numbers 5, 6,

Customer Question

I have had a strange dental problem with teeth numbers 5, 6, and 18 for about the last 5 years. These teeth are causing severe and at time blinding pain with changes in air pressure. All teeth have had root canals that were delayed for a varity of reasons and when the root canals were performed, the roots were necrotic/half dried out. The pain in teeth 5 and 6 were initially diagnosed as trigeminal neuralgia, however I have none of the symptoms of trigeminal, other than the pain being in the general area of the trigeminal nerve. This pain, (5 and 6) would spread in a line, #5 going up my face, through the eye socket and into the scalp. #6 would go from the tooth along my cheek and into the back of my head. I finally convinced my dentist to extract #6 and that line of pain stopped after the extraction. #18 doesn't bother me that badly, it seems to just go down into my jawbone and not spread out.
I have seen several dentist as well as a neurologist who have not been able to figure out what is going on.
Do you have any suggestions to what I should look at next? I really would like to avoid having #5 pulled, but the pain is getting to be too much.
Thank you for your time
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 months ago.

can I Help?