DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

Are there any known ways to improve the quality of sleep?

Customer Question

Are there any known ways to improve the quality of sleep? Can histamine from allergies affect sleep? I read somewhere that it can. I have PTSD and tend to go to sleep when mentally & physically exausted and where I used to "drift off" while thinking normal things, I now suddenly feel like I lose conciousness into sleep, instantly have some weird dream, then wake back up and remember none of my thoughts before sleep and none of strange images. This goes on for probably 15 minutes until I really fall asleep ~ but wake feeling whatever the opposite of refreshed and happy is. I know the moment this all started and it was because I came out of a deep sleep to find someone about to seriously hurt me. I've never slept well since. I know I can talk to psychologists, ect. But I really want to know about the physics of sleep and how I can improve and have my mind refreshed at night. I now have lots of food reactions and I believe extra histamine in my system and when that happens I notice especially weird dreams and unpleasant sleep. Thoughts from an expert?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 6 months ago.

Hello

That depends on the results of a sleep study.

Without that diagnosis, you can not possibly know if you have a sleep disorder, or what sleep problem you have.

Improving quality depends on the results.

Get your doctor to refer you to a sleep lab and specialist.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Otherwise, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/