Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.
20638885

I heard nerve ablation surgery on lumbar spine at noon

Customer Question

I heard nerve ablation surgery on lumbar spine at noon today. Woke up in post-op with profuse tearing and nasal discharge. All discharges were clear and then. Sneezing frequently as well. 12 hours post-op symptoms had not changed so I took 2 adult Benadryl. One and a half hours post Benadryl dose no change in symptoms. Should I be concerned?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 6 months ago.

This is not normal.

Though this is not a known complication of nerve ablation surgery but ta times unexpected complications can happen.It would be safer to have your seen by your doctor.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Websites suggest canulas tubing or 02 or prop...sedative or combo may be cause. Many have experienced same symptoms. I know this is only anecdotal evidence but no other explanation offered by patents or their drs. Some have had relief with coconut oil swabbed into affected nostrils and Claritin or other anti histamine like benedrylikely. I tried benedry. It made no improvement whatsoever. Coconut oil has at least helped with some of the nasal discomfort, but no change in nasal drip or sneezing. My sinuses hurt intermittently, as well. Patients report symptoms can last up to four days. Varies by patient. I am going to continue with coconut oil and follow with nyquill tomorrow night if druggest feels it is safe with amitriptylin 20mg. as sleep aid, and bisoprolol for supra ventricular tachycardia, if symptoms last that long. Thank you for your advice. I will call my GP on Monday if symptoms persist.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 6 months ago.

In case of an allergic reaction benadryl should have helped.So allergy is less likely.

Still we do not know exactly what is happening.If you are otherwise fine you may wait to see your GP , if you feel that your condition is getting worse at anytime it would be safer to go to ER.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As I noted, Benedryll did not help, but other bloggers used Claritin and said along with the coconut oil they got some relief. I am not sure allergy is the real culprit, it may be intolerance to the plastic canula, 02 (less likely), or the sedative/anesthetic that may have been administered through the tube. I had an IV so I assume they put my anesthetic through it, but I really didn't think to ask the question. I have had at least 12 surgical procedures, 5 have been ablations, without side effects. This is the first time I have had the sinus involvement. Bears further investigation. I have been using the coconut oil in my nostrils all night and it has helped some, but I have to administer it about once every hour or my nasal discharge increases profusely.
It is interesting that many of the bloggers only experienced my symptoms on one side of their nose, whereas I am having similar issues on both sides, with the left being considerably worse. If I am not totally over this by Monday I will contact my GP, although it takes two weeks to get in to see her. I can always go to the ER which is 2 blocks away if my condition worsens, and I will surely do that. Thank you for affirming that my instincts were correct and what my next steps should be.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 6 months ago.

Hope you are better now.Best of luck.