Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

Female, 29yrs old. Not pregnant, no allergies, PCOS, no

Customer Question

Female, 29yrs old.
Not pregnant, no allergies, PCOS, no current medication.
For the past 4 months now I have been experiencing aching in my left temple, back of head and recently a painful scalp that almost feels sunburnt.
The head aches have been so constant that Its now affecting my work in the office.
Painkillers don't seem to make a difference, seen several doctors to no avail, one said fibromyalgia, one said tension headaches, one said posture....but none have actually helped me.
Occasionally it will feel like I have pressure in my head and sounds will begin to "pulsate" and it scares me....
I will also get very localised aches in my right arm and leg and more recently, my shoulder blade.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Have you checked your blood pressure?

Any tests done so far for this headache?

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

The type of pressure headache you are having since last 4 months that is now affecting your work in office is suggestive of a condition called stress headache or migraine.Primary headache accounts for about 90% of all headaches.Stress headache is the most common type of headache.It can be caused by tightened muscles in the back of the neck and scalp or in most cases the cause is unknown.

Other less likely causes can be neuralgia or temporal arteritis.

Most common causes of stress headache are:stress,anxiety,depression, muscular tension, vascular dilation, postural changes,low level of endorphins .

Pain killers or anti inflammatory drugs usually does not provide much relief.Anti-depressants and tranquilizers are drugs that may also be prescribed to treat your stress headaches.Your doctor may prescribe preventive therapy such as antidepressants, beta-blockers, or anticonvulsants(like gabapentin).

Specific members of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor(SSRI) and the benzodiazepine families of medications are drug of choice that can be prescribed by your doctor accordingly.

So my best advise for you is that you need to make an appointment with psychiatrist and/or psychologist for the prescription of these medications accordingly.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Had bloodwork done in February for fibromyalgia, all came back normal, blood pressure seems to be slightly high but still within normal levels.Would a "stress headache" cause this much aching throughout the head/body??I read up on temporal arteritis and the more I read the more anxious I became so I stopped reading before I convinced myself that's what it was.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Its good to know that you had bloodwork done in February for fibromyalgia and it came back normal.Also blood pressure is within normal levels.So both the causes are ruled out.

Yes,stress headache can cause severe pain also & at anywhere in body including headaches & body aches.

Medications like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor(SSRI) and the benzodiazepine families of medications are very effective.

So you need to make an appointment with your psychiatrist and/or psychologist for the prescription of these medications accordingly.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll attempt to make an appointment with my doctor on Monday, appointments are hard to get though, is there anything I can do to ease my scalp pain and aches in the mean time?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Although pain killers does not provide much relief.Still you can take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly in providing relief from this pain.

Other medications are available only by prescription.

Is there anything else you would like to know?

I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

Is there anything else that you would like to know. , I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm curious as to what would cause my scalp to hurt, it feels like every time I touch my hair it hurts.
Would that still be caused by a headache?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

Yes,headaches can cause scalp pain & tenderness and sensitivity. With stress headaches, you may feel like a there is a tight band around your head that hurts when touched.

Also in migraine headache,it may hurts when touched.

So anti depressants/anti anxiety pills will be prescribed to you that will provide great relief.

Do you have any more follow up questions?

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh