DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years

I t the top left side of my head pretty hard on a granite

Customer Question

Hello, I hit the top left side of my head pretty hard on a granite counter top as I was coming back up from picking something off the floor. This happened about 3 hours ago. Since then my headaches got worse (pain travels to different parts of head, with area of impact still tender) but I do not feel dizzy and my pupils are not dialated. I noticed shortly after I hit my head that the bone behind my sinus on the left side started to hurt as well, and about an hour or so ago, I smelled a rotten food smell for a few seconds, then it was gone. I also noticed that when I got up to get a drink of water, I could feel some pressure/ the headache in my head as I walked (when headaches were at worst). The severity seems to come in waves, but they remain persistent. Should I go to an ER for a CT scan or see if headaches are alleviated with Tylenol/ice and rest? thank you!
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 4 months ago.

Without doubt, with these symptoms, go to the ER.

Fracture and bleed need to be ruled out.

Have someone take you, or all a squad.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here