DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years

I am concerned about a hamstring injury which occurred

Customer Question

Hello, I am concerned about a hamstring injury which occurred yesterday while water skiing. I had a leg split type fall which I instantly felt my left side hamstring pull and immediately started hurting. After getting out of the water my left leg was weak and unstable. Today I had to go to work. My leg is a lot more stable but I do not have full range of motion mainly movements which stretch the hamstring. There is not any bruising to the back of my let. The pain goes from the posterior left knee up to my left butt cheek with a slight knot deep inside my butt around the crease where the leg connects.
PTMHx: R ancle tendon rupture last year which required surgery. . No other HX
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 4 months ago.

I am not sure what your question is.

In any case

The initial move is rest, elevate the leg, use anti inflammatory medicine and ice.

Use an ace bandage for compression.

The next move is an exam. The degree of injury needs to be ascertained.

Most injuries heal.

Severe injuries require surgery.

It sounds like you have a mild to moderate injury.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here

an exam will acertain this.