Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology

OK. I had a CT scan of my neck. Findings:. The visualized

Customer Question

OK. I had a CT scan of my neck. Findings:. The visualized intracranial contents are within normal limits. The paranasal sinuses are clear. There is prominence of the lingual tonsillar tissue right greater than left as noted on images 29 and 30. Multiple subcentimeter lymph nodes are present. No significant by size lymphadenopathy. The lung apices are clear. Bone windows demonstrate no aggressive bone lesions or fractures.
Impression:. Asymmetric prominence of soft tissue along the lingual tonsils on the right. Recommend direct visualization. Multiple nonpathologic by size lymph nodes.
Primary diagnostic code: significant amnornality, attn needed. ( In all caps).
What does this mean? I am having pain in my left neck.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

tonsils larger on one side than the other would not be causing your pain in your left neck.

viral infections or allergies can cause tonsils to swell up on one side compared to the other.

what your doctor should be ordering is an MRI scan of your cervical spine to better look at the nerves and disks of your neck spine which can be causing pain.

unfortunately, a CT scan of the neck soft tissue doesn't seen nerves or disks between vertebral bodies in your spine very well.

do you have any metal in your body like a pacemaker? this can keep you from being able to have an MRI scan.

have you had an MRI scan before?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Why the diagnosis code that indicates an emergency? Yes, I had an MRI today of my low back.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should I be seeing an oncologist about this scan?

what diagnosis code are you talking about?

your doctor can look inside of your mouth to look at your tonsils

I bet you doctors will not see cancer in your tonisls.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The diagnosis code I typed in the original question, diagnosis code: significant abnormality, attn needed. I had my tonsils and adenoids removed when I was a child
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still there?

I see.

I am a cancer doctor

CT scans don't really see the soft tissue in the tonsils and back of the mouth very well

what can look like big asymmetry may just be due to normal variations in anatomy or how you were laying or swallowing during a CT scan

your doctor can very easily just look in your throat to know if you have a tonsil cancer or mass. I bet that you don't have one

get a neck cervical spine MRI scan to look for the cause of your neck pain.