Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

My 75 year old husband has suddenly developed leg pain down

Customer Question

My 75 year old husband has suddenly developed leg pain down the outside of his thigh, occasionally changing to the inside. He needs a walking stick to help as it's so painful.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Is it also tender when the outer thigh is pressed?

Is he taking any chronic medicines?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not at rest, no pain. No pain when pressed. Just when walking. He takes medication to control his high blood pressure.

Thank you for the additional information.

I ask about tenderness because the location of perception of pain is not as accurate as the location of tenderness. For example, when someone has a problem in the hip, the pain is frequently felt in the hip, but it can actually be felt further down the lower extremity, as low as the knee. So, when someone feels pain in the outer thigh, it can be from the outer thigh, but could also be from the hip or from the knee. On the other hand, if there is tenderness when pressing on the outer thigh, then the problem is in the outer thigh, which would be muscular

Statistically, problems arising in the hip or knee causing significant pain are more common than problems arising in the outer thigh causing significant pain.

At this point, degenerative changes within the hip or knee would be the most likely cause of such pain. It would be appropriate to take an over the counter pain medicine, such as paracetamol or an oral anti-inflammatory medicine, such as naproxen. If one of these medicines ease the pain quickly, then it would not require further evaluation. However, if the significant pain persists despite these medicines, then it would be better for him to be seen for an evaluation.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. We will take your advice, take the medicine you recommend and if necessary we will get an evaluation.Many thanks.

You are most welcome. I hope that he feels better quickly.