Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I am 64 years old, female and I went to the MD this week and

Customer Question

Hi: I am 64 years old, female and I went to the MD this week and he dx benign vertigo and gave me some exercises to deal with 'floating crystals'. I have been doing those and not sure if I see any difference but I will try a few more times. I remembered (after I left his office of course); last year I did a lot of swimming in the apartment pool and several times went down to 13 feet under. I developed something in my left ear I will call 'popping' or 'bubbling' that sounded like water in the ear. I had dizziness then too and just stopped swimming for a number of weeks. It eventually went away but I now notice I get this bubble sound? in the left ear now and then. The ear canal also feel dry or dehydrated. The doc checked my ear and nose and nothing and did xrays of my face and no lingering sinus infection. The dizziness is when I lean my head forward (tying shoes) and then bring my head back up. It lasts a few moments and goes away. What is the bubbling sound? Water? It is just crystals; do I need hydrating drops of some kind? Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr. David

you could have gotten some fluid inside of your inner ear

and if there is fluid in your inner ear, you can get fluid into your semicircular canals where your balance center is

these structures are in your inner ear and you can't get at them with ear drops.

they have to just get better on their own

have you tried any physical therapy or exercise therapy which could help strengthen muscles and help with balance and could help decrease vertigo?